I agree its a leadership issue. We often impose self-constraints where there do not need to be any. In any unit there needs to be a clear set of standards both for individual and collective tasks - passing a PT test is a standard, executing a battle drill correctly is a standard. Not enforcing those standards indicates a leadership failure, an is an abdication of responsibility to those we lead.

After what I've seen I think many of the arguments I've heard in the past about women serving in line units don't add up. A real problem though could be leaders who won't maintain a standard, but that is a problem regardless. As for fraternization and sexual misconduct - well that is also a moral and ethical problem in addition to being a general leadership one - it has not stopped those problems from occurring on the FOBs or in settings where men and women are in hand grenade range. If we're worried about our grenadiers and SAW gunners getting it on in a firefight - well, we've got misplaced priorities.

When I took command the first time, I told the company I had some non-negotiables: use or sell drugs and I would do everything I could to get you separated from the Army and punished to the max; steal from a soldier and I'd do everything I could to see the maximum UCMJ penalties imposed and you'd be transferred from the company; have an affair with another soldier's wife and I'd punish you to the full extent and see you separated from the Army.

There are always going to be things we have to weigh out in cost - benefit both as an individual and as a leader. Sometimes leaders must explain both the consequences for individual actions in terms or responsibility and the impact on the unit.

I simply want the best people available doing the the jobs that require the most responsibility and character in a person. Flatly, there are some females who are more capable on a number of levels then their male counterparts - this is as true in soldiering as in any other profession. It is the leader's responsibility to ensure the standards are maintained as prescribed by the higher command, by the service and by the UCMJ.

I do not make military policy with regard to what jobs are open to women, however, I will say that if policy changed to reflect that women were suddenly allowed to serve in Infantry or Armor units I'd have no personal issues with it. The actions I saw in Iraq indicate to me that they have the potential to serve as well as their male peers in those roles - but the standards must be enforced by the leaders.

For me, the physiological considerations are small potatoes compared to what some of these folks bring to the fight.

Did not mean to rant, but want to be clear that actions on the ground are challenging many of the myths and preconceptions about who does what, or is capable of doing what. With only a small percentage of Americans willing to serve in uniform, I want the very best of that small percent where they matter most.

Best regards, Rob