Thread: Pet Peeve - Trying to Apply M&S to Small Wars Issues

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Genrally agree with all

ALCON,
    I generally agree with everything said in this particular thread. However, I do think that in some cases human behavior can be modeled. However for the most part, the U.S. intelligence community is focused on "industrial" or "mass production" intelligence processes and not a specific and expensive intelligence problem. (This ia situation is analgous to the Death Star in Star Wars. A singl X-wing fighter was not considered a real "likely" threat, so the defense was not as tight as it should have been.) Rather than invest heavily in HUMINT to focus on a single sticky problem, efforts are focused high tech solutions that give at best a 50% solution and are eaicly spoofed by a knowledgable enemy.

As to enemy intentions, I have attached an article by Lester Grau on foreign national perceptions and U.S. Warfighting. It was posted to the Foreign Military Studies Office webpage some time ago but is no- longer there. It remains very relevant however and clearly illustrates the disconnect between our adversaries (or potential adversaries) and the focus of U.S. intelligence.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by M. J. Dougherty; 10-25-2005 at 03:19 AM.
    Semper Fidelis,

M. J. Dougherty
    United States Marine Corps
    (W) michael.dougherty@korea.army.mil
    (H) mjdoug1@center.osis.gov