Hitler was a Corporal

I really don't have any heart ache with a lack of military service from our elected officials. The people advising the officials are a completely different matter IMHO. Ultimately the citizens of this country have the last say at the ballot box.

I think if we do a serious breakdown of cause and effect for the conflicts that we have participated in since the beginning of this republic we would probably find out that most of them can be linked to resource/profit goals. Whether it be no taxes, open markets, coal, forward bases, and now oil. I don't think this is a bad thing BTW, ultimately if we determine that this is unacceptable then we as a nation would have to change who and what we are.

Can we or should we do something drastic like:

End our requirement for fuel?
Bring back the draft?

To both questions I think no. I think civilization is evolving, ending the fuel requirement prematurely would stop civilizations progress to the next step of evolving. Bringing back a draft to this country would be as alien as FDR's programs in the 30s. Simply put, we are past that stage of development.

There appears to be a lot of people working from home via the internet. There is still a perceived need to have someone converting oxygen at a desk which needs to be addresses. Something along the lines that technically, libraries, schools and so on are not needed due to the world wide web. Yet, we still feel the need to have a book in our hands or attend a classroom. My gut check tells me that this is where our next step taking us.