Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
I'd say any discussion focusing on current operational experience with squad configs his highly subjective - rarely is any squad at full strength in OIF - R&R leave, injuries, details, and other factors ensure that any unit will be operating at about 80% strength on a given day. Therefore, your fire team can be 3-6 people depending on the place and time.

When I commanded, I found the best platoon organization to be a mech-motorized/infantry hybrid. Two armored vehicles (tanks/brads/113's - not HMMWV's) carrying two teams of infantry had the firepower and flexibility to accomplish almost any task in the *OIF* enviornment. For that reason I task organized to where each platoon consisted of an armored section and an infantry section, with enough transport to go around. It had the ability to maneuver and to dismount for tasks such as building clearing or hasty maneuver on an enemy.
Cavguy, if you can give an estimate here, what do you think is a good proportion of infantry to armour in urban fighting? Did you find that you'd have liked to have some more infantry, or did you have what you felt you needed?