Thread: Human Terrain & Anthropology (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think you miss the point too. I want a good manual. I don't care where the authors get their material from or if they credit ALL of their source material. Call me myopic if you want to.

I don't expect nor even care if I am given credit for MY work (as long as my Rater and Senior Rater know where it came from). If a lesson I and my men learned the hard way and that I openly share with my peers helps them from having to also pay the price for the knowledge (the currency on the battlefield is blood), good. Do I want to see my name in lights in Time Square? (Or in the citations of a future FM?) NO.

I suppose I should restate my argument that the Soldiers / Marines who are benefiting from FM 3-24 don't care if the intellectual property of the original authors is protected. Should our FMs be subject to academic review? NO. Should we (the service members at the sharp end of the stick) care? IMHO no. (It’s been my experience that soldiers are more interested in having regular chow and an occasional letter / phone call from home or even a hot shower than the academic merits of any Army manual).
    Last edited by SabreXray; 11-02-2007 at 12:51 PM.