Maggie said It IS unfair for a small number to bear the burden for so many but is it the difficulties of that life or the attitude toward public service that leaves so few to carry that burden? Even more importantly, what can be done to change that attitude?"

We can change that attitude by putting the faith of the executive back into the country. Many Western nations, most of whom I think we would consider not unlike us, have a national service. Greece, Sweden, Germany, et al. Their people allow this because they have faith that their country will use them in a sensible manner. I don't think that most Americans trust the executive (this one or past ones) enough. They fear the perceived willy-nilliness of past (and present) Presidents, and they don't want to give up their lives for something they don't believe in. If we could temper the foreign policy, the I think more people would put their trust in military service. Unfortunately, as the lone superpower, I'm not sure we'll be afforded the luxury.