I am not aware of any major energy-related institution that says global oil production will not peak. It's like death, the question is when. Due to lack of knowledge about reserves in the Middle East and Former Soviet Union, there is a wide range of estimates -- from now thru 30+ years, clustering in the 15 year range. Since a crash adaptation program will take roughly 20 years, we're already on the clock. The major agencies -- us DOE and the International Energy Agency -- have been clear on this challenge, esp this year. I recommend reading the IEA's World Energy Outlook 2007 (here's the free Executive Summary)
Actually, the immediate problem is not necessarily "oil peak" in regards to reduced oil deposits for extraction, but the eventual "peak" of extraction and production capabilities. On any given oil field there are only so many points of extraction and so much oil producing infrastructure. It's this in the short term that is being outstripped by demand and will continue so.

Silver lining? Maybe force us to move into other energy resources sooner or risk a severe recession caused by inflated oil prices due to increasing demands.

and, yes, I fear a shift in economic power if we do not have a significant change in trading practices.

One reason why I have been torn on the immigration situation in the US. The only way to keep us viable is to be able to compete in the labor market. We need significant immigration of low skilled workers to re-invent our manufacturing capabilities. We also need to watch artificially increasing wages with minimum wage hikes. We also need to reduce federal spending significantly. We have to be able to survive our own economic war devices.

Right now, I sometimes feel like we are calling the bombs down on top of our position so to speak.