Zenpundit, like the other gentlemen who have replied to your interesting question I agree you present an interesting question.

I imagine there are many parallels in the various sciences on how theory affects practice. Theory provides a model and supporting vocabulary to define a situation, and from there we develop a strategy to address it. On the same hand those models and their associated vocabulary are frequently flawed, or more accurately, they limit our ability to accurately define the problem set we're dealing with. Clausewitz, OODA loops, EBO, 4GW, etc. all have their application, but the fact that they are known equates to biased perceptions. What set of glasses are you looking through?

When you use theory you define the problem to fit your theory. I think most of us who visit this site regularly enjoy debating military theory to see if we can identify truly enduring principles of war. I tend to be the camp that is very cautious of using theory, but obviously apply it unwittingly since it is engrained in my subconscious. I wonder what theory, if any, our asymmetrical opponents adhere to.