Thread: Anonymous: Re: Pakistan

Default Anonymous: Re: Pakistan

-- "The first and foremost lesson is that we need the wholehearted backing of the host nation government. That govenment seems to be in a 'state of flux' right now." Is that realistic? A strong majority of the population of Pakistan disapproves of the U.S. and our foreign policy. How long will a Pakistani government giving us their "wholehearted backing" last?

There is a crucial distinction that needs to be made here between the government of a host nation and the the particular government in power in a host nation. In the case of Pakistan, and leaving out the Tribal Territories, the support for the radical Islamist irhabi is fairly low ~ 7%. The current state of "flux" is not going to change the general thrust of the Pakistan government as far as the irhabi are concerned, even if there is a shift in which government is in power.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Low levels of support for radical jihadis taking over the government should not be conflated with a corresponding high level of support for a pro-American government.

If the broad mass of the Pakistani public (a term I hesitate to use given its extraordinary diversity) becomes convinced that the U.S. has turned its government and military into a puppet regime that will shed the blood of its own (jihadi or not) at a foreigner's bidding, then such a regime will not be either stable or long-lasting. We are dangerously close to such a tipping point now. What will follow will not be a Taliban regime, but it will also not necessarily be a government amenable to American strategic goals.

Really good point, Tequila. I should have noted that the "backing" should be issue based rather than some sort of empire-client form. I also agree that it is very close to a tipping point and may, quite possibly, end up as a government that opposes parts of US strategic policy. I think this is why it is so important to have very clear - "transparent" - foreign policy agendas, and allow your partners in one area to be opponents in another. That's what we used to call "professional politics" back when I was in that game.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/