Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorB View Post
In the spring 2008 quarter I've been asked to teach a class entitled "Terrorism and Homeland Security." Any recommendations for an accessible book on terrorism for undergraduates? I'm more interested in a "what" is terrorism book (i.e., one pitched at a more strategic level) than a "who" are the terrorists book.
The first edition of "Introduction to Homeland Security" by Bullock et.al. was about Homeland Security response to Terrorism the new one is much more detailed about all hazards response. It might be better to just drop the idea of Homeland Security and look at terrorism.

What exactly are you thinking of as learning objectives?

Though not a text book, "Countering the new terrorism", Lesser et.al.: (1999) RAND 151 pages ISBN 0-8330-2667-4 is a good book for undergraduates. It is a bit dated but discusses how 9/11 could occur. A bit chilling actually.
Chapters include Trends in Terrorism, Terrorist Tactical Adaption, Force Protection, Implication of Anti-Terrorism.
It took me three hours to read it.

The 9/11 report is really good for a after action report.

It kind of depends on who your students are and what you want to accomplish with them.