Gents,
Speaking from a perspective of some involvement with metrics and assessments in the current fight, I can offer a few observations:

-Measuring COIN is basically an art (as has been pointed out many times in SWJ). Its not the individual metrics, but the interrelationship of many metrics. We can count and look at many things and the same number will tell different things depending on context and other indicators. Its not as much that some things are good or bad to measure as it is that nothing is useful in isolation.

-Assessment is like intel. You need to have a collection plan that, in turn requires RESOURCES. You can't just wake up and decide you want to measure something. Also, if its not explicitly tied to the mission (and those ties are understood), you will get resistance from the subordinates you task to collect the information from. "Why should I risk soldiers or take up staff time collecting A,B, or C when I don't see how it applies to winning my fight?"

-Alot of things that it makes sense to measure can be very hard to measure (at least measure well). This goes especially for economic data in a COIN fight.

LtCol. Phil Ridderhof USMC
Assessments Section
MNF-I Strategy, Plans and Assessment Directorate