You pose an excellent question, one which about every Marine has a different answer. My answer and approach was/is clear. Understanding the culture, and being technically proficient in non-kinetic approaches to tactical tasks, will shape our success in the future. That's why I'm here at the SWJ.

If you can establish the requisite level of trust between you and your men, through showing: 1) you care, 2) you're firm but fair, 3) you know your job like the back of your hand, Marines will go to hell and back when a good leader says, "We must do these things."

As much as we want to instill independent thought in our junior leaders and allow for decentralized decision-making, discipline remains the key. General Mattis displayed these traits, and many Marines in my circles agree that he is something of a modern day Gen. Lejeune. He demanded discipline and high honor, but recognized that when it came time for bad guys to be killed, it was to be carried out efficiently.

There's another dimension to the problem of shooting first and asking questions later. As a leader, you'll have to ensure that certain tactical tasks are executed properly with no corners cut. A good example is the VCP. Whether it is a snap or deliberate one, SOPs have been established that reduce the risk to Marines, and afford Iraqis as much time/space as possible to realize that they are indeed headed toward a VCP. Without getting into details, a strand of wire stretched across the road with your Marines standing on either side is not the answer. If you're lazy and cut corners, Marines will be put in a situation where they have no choice but to shoot first.

Finally, everything we do in combat arms poses certain "occupational hazards". Drill it into the Marines' heads that all hazards cannot be removed, and you will always apply good judgement, and you'll have a good foundation.