...A solution to the current intelligence blackhole would be to collect, store, and sift this data into a “geointel” site organized in a manner replicating stock market data....
I dislike the comparison and feel it is yet another false analogy based on misconceptions about intelligence. The piece shows little understanding of multidisciplinary all-source collection and how it affects the analytic effort at the tactical and operational levels.

However, tossing aside the market comparisons, the concept of organizing finished intel by geographic location in an all-encompassing user-friendly database that can support analysis at all levels is a good one. At its most fundamental, this resembles an old analysis tool that is very handy in the COIN environment - the incident map/coordinates register.

Unfortunately, the coordinates register gets short shrift in current doctrine. The most current version of FM 2-33.4 Intelligence Analysis provides one short paragraph on this tool, with no real instructions on its use. It is treated the same way in ST 2-91.1 Intelligence Support to Stability Operations and Support Operations. FM 2-91.4 Intelligence Support to Urban Operations doesn't mention it all - and I personally have found it to be particularly effective as an analytic tool in the unconventional urban environment. There is also no discussion of it at all in the new FM 2-01.301 Specific TTPs for IPB, although the manual does briefly mention an "incident overlay" in an almost dismissive manner.

(A lot of what LE is doing today with GIS support to LE analysis is similar to what I learned in the old days with a stubby pencil, notebook and paper maps. However, LE cross-jurisdictional issues with information sharing in support of analysis makes the Army's problems as discussed in the CPT Hsia's piece look positively minor by comparison.)

My understanding of the intent of CPT Hsia's concept is that it takes the old coordinates register tool and upgrades it a couple of generations - and takes it from tactical to strategic applicability - with current technology. Looking at it from an analyst's perspective, in many operational environments it would be nice to be able to use current high-res overhead imagery of your target location (from country level down through province, city, district, block and even to single building) as a dashboard to pull up resources based on what you are looking at. i.e. for the single building it could provide every product that even tangentially mentions that building or an occupant as well as everything reported within a given distance of the building. (As an almost-aside, it would pretty much require dual monitors to use the capability effectively.)

The technology exists. Hell, we are able to do bits and pieces of that right now. But the overarching all-encompassing user-friendly database does not exist. To build it to the level that he states - with complete (and timely) joint service, interagency and private sector colloboration and input - is a tough row to hoe. If we could get something that works that well with just the military services, it would be a near miracle.

Of course, there's always the human factor. We will always have leaders who, despite having all the substantive information they need to support a specific course of action, instead permit their personal biases and perceptions to dismiss valid intelligence. On the other hand, we continue to have a few outstanding leaders (never enough though) who, despite the lack of substantive information, manage to make the right decisions, or to find innovative ways of turning tragedy into success. Technology won't replace character or instinct (or be a substitute for the lack of), although it can certainly be leveraged as a powerful tool in support of good leaders.