Thread: How to Think, Not What to Think at Leavenworth

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Today, we discussed the two articles I earlier linked. During our discussion, we learned how to teach "collaborative learners", but only so far as to not interfere with the calcified, written in stone ELOs and TLOs, which are holy and sacrosanct. When I inquired why the students couldn't determine their own ELOs and TLOs, it was met with blank, uncomprehending stares, and snickers behind hands.
    Might just be the instructor and group dynamics out here at ILE Belvoir - but we've been given allot of flexibility - maybe we just take it - so far the folks that have dropped in from LVN have all been pretty happy (although at first they looked both disturbed and concerned) - the staff ride was pretty much student run and the quality of discourse is very good. ELOs & TLOs are introduced and I'd say met, but the real value comes from the interaction in the classroom vs. the readings (which provide a vehicle to jump from) or say the writing assignments (which give you the chance to think a bit more on a subject). I'd say I feel like I got my $$$ worth - but then I'd have to bring up the issues with DFAS - and that since I've pretty much paid my own way through they might use my satisfaction with the course to justify never reimbursing me: The piece I did on non-linearity for the SWJ Blog got picked up on by my History guy - and he said it met the requirement for his paper - as a result I was able to spend more time thinking about other stuff.
    Best, Rob
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 12-04-2007 at 05:44 PM.