Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
But in Latin America we eschewed massive direct involvement in counterinsurgency. We provided fairly significant counterinsurgency support. I have no problem with that. What I take issue with is reaching the conclusion that if a partner regime is not able to manage and execute a counterinsurgency campaign on its own, we'll come in and do it for them. What I'm suggesting is that a regime that is too incompetent or unpopular to defend itself is a bad bet. What we tend to do is demonize the insurgents so as to convince ourselves that this bad bet is worth making.
I would think we're pretty much in agreement then.
Honestly I'm pretty sure the plans were never to go in and do what we are doing now, but you make a mess you have to clean it up, and any time there is major change in a countries leadership there is going to be a mess.

The overarching concern you have may be somewhat a moot point in the long run but I guess considering politics and its ability to screw things up it's probably good to get out the no-go recommendations ahead of time