Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
Steve--

Gian--

You are correct to point out that IO - or better stated, PSYOP - depends on performance on the ground. Unlike commercial advertising where the problem is to convince people that your aspirin works better than the other guy's, the PSYOP problem is to convince people that "aspirin" works at all. If that can be demonstrated then sophisticated and simple techniques for getting the message out will work. If not, then no technique will work over the long haul to sell the "snake oil."

Cheers

JohnT

I have to disagree with you on the Better-stated bit.
Information Operations is far from Psyops, sometimes they coincide, sometimes they conflict, but never one in the same. This has been one of the most frustrating things for me throughout my service, in one form or another.

To illustrate as simply as possible ,since I currently have to get back to work;

Information is every single aspect of your reality which may bring influence to one area or another of your operation. History, Psychology, Sociology, Cyber, Physical description ( If I am the bad guy I look at you and your capability and see if I think I can take you).

Anthropology (What each and every entity in the AO thinks and feels from their historical perspective to what they currently percieve)

Empathy ( Understanding what factors or circumstances have brought you, or your enemy, or the populous to where they are at this moment.

Etc, Etc,
What I'm trying to say is that when those who are in the decision making roles rely on precedentiary understanding of "tools" of the trade (PSYOPS)
There is often a over reliance on check the block, unbudging ops which lend not only to possible mis application but many times to mis diagnosis of the effects provided, or not provided.

PSYOPS have a well established programs with immense understanding of what they do but it is not, i repeat not real overarching IO.

If someone could show me how any IO operation worth it's salt could be truly as effective as it should be without going outside of that which PSYOPS encompasses then I might be prompted to reconsider,

OR I would probably just look harder to find facts to support my hypothesis