Thread: Thoughts on "Patrol Base Infantry"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Gian P Gentile View Post
    I fundamentally disagree with this point. .

I also disagree with the explicit point that light infantry are the only ones who can "confront all possible adversaries." This statement by itself is factually incorrect; a light infantryman is at a huge disadvantage staring down the main guns
    I agree and I wrote it! As always language is a problem, and this was written for a UK audience.

A more useful statement would have been "Skill in dismounted infantry operations, and patrolling in particular, is largely relevant across the spectrum of conflict." I could go on to emphasise why, but I think everyone here has good take on military history.

I can't see any good reason why you would not want your infantry skilled in these areas.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    I agree and I wrote it! As always language is a problem, and this was written for a UK audience.

A more useful statement would have been "Skill in dismounted infantry operations, and patrolling in particular, is largely relevant across the spectrum of conflict." I could go on to emphasise why, but I think everyone here has good take on military history.

I can't see any good reason why you would not want your infantry skilled in these areas.
    Agree and you are absolutely right and i did acknowledge this point that of course infantry must be skilled at dismounted patrolling and when need be conducting patrol base operations. But these should be skills that are a part of, and not the base of, a larger capability of infantry to fight across a broad spectrum. As I stated in my post, I am worried about the American Army and where our fetish with Coin is taking us.

I appreciate the fact that you wrote it for a Brittish audience. My concern, as I have stated, is with the American audience hence my posting.

I should also repeat what i said in the previous post about the value of this article and its very well written nature.

good to be in touch with you

gian

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post

Wilf,

Just what were you proposing in PBID: a revival of classic light infantry, or the revival of classic light infantry skills amongst line infantry?

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Wilf,

Just what were you proposing in PBID: a revival of classic light infantry, or the revival of classic light infantry skills amongst line infantry?
    The proposal wasn't that complicated. It was/is about emphasising the need to be proficient at dismounted operations as a basis for all infantry doctrine. This offers the possibility to make everything simpler and more effective.

Once you are on foot, Infantry is Infantry or should be.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Wilf, I very much agree infantry is infantry. Stalking, sniper/marksmanship/solving problems with a range of options not just one/TTP's being written at the unit level/milling we call this street fightin in america all are BASIC infantry skills nothing advanced about it. Also believe that NCO's are capable of writing manuals not just officers.

Smile I fully Concur

Hey Slap !

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Also believe that NCO's are capable of writing manuals not just officers.
    Well, that pretty much says it all. BTW, don't ask Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hey Slap !

Well, that pretty much says it all. BTW, don't ask Tom
    Hmmm in the past 7.5 years I have put together 40 plus newsletters and handbooks. Many, not all, were NCO-authored, either in part or in total. I edited; I even ghost-wrote when necessay. But the ideas were from NCOs....

So my hyper-drive, human version of the Ever Ready Rabbit, whom I always listened to and most often accepted cogent advice from, exactly what are you trying to say?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    So my hyper-drive, human version of the Ever Ready Rabbit, whom I always listened to and most often accepted cogent advice from, exactly what are you trying to say?

Tom
    Hmmm.... listening to hyper drive bunnies . Tom it actually goes back to part of the article that Wilf wrote that I was referencing, which obviously I did not do very well.