Thread: Is Cyber a new warfare? Debate (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cyber Superpower

Just ask the hackers...

Estonia is getting a reputation for being security savvy.

Not content with being the plucky underdog that punches above its weight, Estonia has been committed for several years to nurturing state-of-the-art online technologies that are used in politics, banking, security, and other sectors.

“Cyber-security is a new measure of security, which must be actively engaged in both on the domestic and international level,” Ansip said in Washington.

So highly regarded is Estonia’s online technology and security savvy that NATO’s new cyber-warfare center will be based there.

So strong now is Estonia’s reputation in the field that some countries already are trying to poach leading figures in cyber-security development. Hillar Aarelaid, head of the national CERT program, said he has received several lures from overseas, including an “exotic” bid from Singapore.

I actually wrote an article awhile back about cyber-super-powers. The Canary Islands and other high level banking and financial locations were ripe to become power houses of computer security. And the likely targets. The supposition in the article was that being a fortress was not power. The follow on thesis was when these little tiny countries start projecting that power and using it to decide who gets what or gets done by what. Now that is real power. A friend reading the article said I had come up with the Soup Nazi (Seinfield reference) Theory of cyber warfare.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Hey Sam !

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I actually wrote an article awhile back about cyber-super-powers. The Canary Islands and other high level banking and financial locations were ripe to become power houses of computer security. And the likely targets. The supposition in the article was that being a fortress was not power. The follow on thesis was when these little tiny countries start projecting that power and using it to decide who gets what or gets done by what. Now that is real power. A friend reading the article said I had come up with the Soup Nazi (Seinfield reference) Theory of cyber warfare.
    I've been spending too much time at your blog reading about biker chicks (ahem) bikers and didn't see the posts on cyber superpowers

During my recent trip to Tenerife there were some Estonian IT guys at our hotel, and I recall one morning hearing them talk about the relatively stone-age state of IT in the Canaries.

Would you shoot me the link to your article please ?

Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hey Sam !

I've been spending too much time at your blog reading about biker chicks (ahem) bikers and didn't see the posts on cyber superpowers

During my recent trip to Tenerife there were some Estonian IT guys at our hotel, and I recall one morning hearing them talk about the relatively stone-age state of IT in the Canaries.

Would you shoot me the link to your article please ?

Regards, Stan
    Let me see if I can find it. I'll post it here or on my BLOG....
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.