Thread: Iraq: Permanent U.S. Bases Unacceptable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    We're looking for roots, not terrorists.
    Roger. As a civilian I am capable of saying... the roots ARE the ideological source of the jihadist terror. That source is the reason for the political correctness within our prosecuting (read: warfighting) instutions (and leadership) which have abjectly failed to correctly identify the enemy vice the tactic and its executors.

Being in civilian attire has its advantages.

Iraq just happens to be easy and a centrally located place from which to look.
    One of several in the CENTCOM AOR.

Council Member

Default What's your defintion of "permanent"?

Iraq sees need for foreign troops for 10 years (Reuters, Dec 17)
    BAGHDAD - Iraq will need foreign troops to help defend it for another 10 years, but will not accept U.S. bases indefinitely, government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said.

"Of course we need international support. We have security problems. For 10 years our army will not be able to defend Iraq," Dabbagh told the state-run al-Iraqiya television in an interview broadcast late on Sunday.

"I do not think that there is a threat of an invasion of Iraq, or getting involved in a war. (But) to protect Iraqi sovereignty there must be an army to defend Iraq for the next 10 years," he said.

"But on the other hand, does Iraq accept the permanent existence of U.S. bases, for instance? Absolutely no. There is no Iraqi who would accept the existence of a foreign army in this country," he said. "America is America and Iraq is Iraq."

The United States now has about 155,000 troops in Iraq, formally operating under a U.N. Security Council mandate enacted after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Iraq has asked the Security Council to extend the mandate for what it says will be a final year to the end of 2008, and conditions for U.S. troops to stay on beyond that date are to be negotiated in the next few months.

Violence has subsided after the United States dispatched 30,000 additional troops to Iraq this year, and Washington now says it will bring about 20,000 home by mid-2008. Troop levels for the second half of the year are to be decided in March.

JeffC,

Your comments made me laugh! - and their true

I am not an Iraqi citizen since my iraqi passport expired and i just couldn't be bothered to renew it. I'm not in a hurry to become an iraqi any time soon

I am just pro-western by nature.

Regards

P.S: If you can find me any cultural websites on Abdul Karim Qassim i would be grateful if you can post them.

Happy new year.