Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
ought to be good...

[Ken exits stage right for a refill and to make popcorn...]
Ken, could I get a beer please

I’ve always hated the term ‘Rank Has Its Privileges’ although I have a firm understanding that officers and NCOs serve as team members, and a team should always understand individual strengths and weaknesses in order to accomplish the mission at hand. It’s not so cut and dried regarding intellect and experience; both play major roles together.

The lower ranks often referred to SNCOs as 'petty or tyrants' worried more about spit-shines and haircuts – as if that was our life’s duty. Not at all true. Those merely dismissed discipline and would later realize the necessity.

I’ve observed foreign forces that use this approach of advancing through the ranks, and I’m not all that convinced it works most of the time. My friend in Sub Sahara was a career Corporal in the Canadian military. He liked his current duties and lack of greater responsibility, and would otherwise serve and subsequently retire at that rank and salary. “No harm done” he told me at the helm of his 113. He was a great M2 operator, but I sincerely doubt he would ever be a manager or officer….just not his thing or style.

The only other military service that made me remotely jealous was Germany's. NCOs flying helicopters – Not some Bravo Sierra course to become a Wobbly One with tons of PT, horrific (ahem) retraining (to remove your NCO grey matter) and 260 hours of flight time.

Have to disagree herein, our system works…we have managers and we have doers, then we have NCOs to keep both in line