Quote Originally Posted by SWJED
Some would argue a clearly articulated commander's intent would be better served with 23 - 24 year-old small unit leaders with more training, education and experience as well as maturity vice 19 -20 year olds.
If a commander's intent type statement can work with a properly prepared 12 year old, it can work with a properly prepared 19-20 year old. The training and education piece is what we as an institution are lacking.

Eyeballs........snap sir!!!!!!!

Sir, the private doesn't know sir!?!?!

From front to rear, count off!!!!!!!!!!

This is my rifle, there are many like it.................

SMEAC, BAMCIS, ADDRAC, METT T, IA Drills, TTPs, 6 line, 9 line.........

Marines, today's period of instruction is on the AN PRC 119.............

There is no requirement for the Marine to THINK in the above examples. This system worked great for a large draft army, it doesn't work in today's environment.

Von Stueben had it figured out during the Revolutionary War, you need to tell the American soldier "why."

Why don't we push critical thinking in bootcamp?
Why don't we push executive level thinking at the L/Cpl level?

Because, we are lazy. It is a lot easier to have the Marine blurt out Situation, Mission, Execution, Admin & logistics, Command & signal then to explain how the current enemy/friendly situation could effect the mission and ultimately the commander's intent.

What determines how a Marine becomes situational aware?

Perception = something is happening........
Comprehension = the alarm clock went off.....is this familiar?
Projection = if I turn it off, I get to sleep longer......
Prediction = if I sleep longer, I could get fired......
Decision = go to work

Our training takes the Marine to the Comprehension stage and then turns him loose with immediate action type decision making. This is the point where experience plays a critical function. Without teaching critical thinking he doesn't care about familiarity. His decision could very well be based on Hollywood, Soldier of Fortune, Sea Stories, video game.........