Thread: Abandon squad/section levels of organization?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

On my mother's side (specifically through her mother's side), my ancestors were tarred and feathered and driven out of New England, Tories they were. As United Empire Loyalists, they made their way to Ontario. Once again, on my mother's side, a hundred years or so after the Great Tax Revolt Across the Great Lakes, more of my ancestors (specifically through her father's side) ran away from home in the logging camps of Michigan and came to Ontario. And my father's side were British soldiers, and English Bluebloods at that, for which they received Imperial landgrants for their service in the Boer War; my paternal grandmother (she was a US citizen) always complained that "The side of the family that stayed in England got the Lordship, and the side that came to Canada got the work."

And I have always viewed Rifleman's signature with much amusement; and a lot of those Hessians settled around the area where I live in the years after the Tax Revolt by Those People Down There and again after the War of 1812.

Ken, I respectfully object to the Eryx: after the Government bought them, the Infantry Battalions promptly put them into storage and kept using the Carl G's because the Eryx wasn't as good and the Gunner had to track the missile all the way to the target. At ranges of 600 m and less, that was not considered conducive to the survival of the Missile crew in the seconds after launch. The Carl G's of course could be fired and then you just got out of there macht schnell.

After a few years, DND got curious as to why they hadn't heard anything about the Eryx being used, and when they found out that the Battalions had simply locked them up and tossed the key away, DND got pretty unhappy and ordered the Carl G withdrawn from service and stored and the Eryx to be used by the Battalions. That, and a few other bright ideas like deleting the Assault Pioneer (since restored after battle experience in A-Stan) and Mortar Platoons (still waiting to hear if they will be restored) from the Infantry Battalions made DND even more popular with the Troops than they already were.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 12-21-2007 at 02:49 AM.