Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
There are simply not enough NCOs in Batt to make a significant impact on the rest of the Army but the influx of new NCOs, who did not grow up in Batt has watered down the quality of the Batts. I have heard many an old Batt boy bemoan this fact.
I don't doubt there's truth in that but I have to wonder if at least part of it is sour grapes; since, there will always be some "bemoaning" if anyone perceives that someone else hasn't paid their dues. But for people "born and raised" in the 75th dues paying often simply means that you experienced the "Spec. 4 Mafia" hazing culture as a private.

When the battalions were formed in 1974 nobody had grown up in them. I know some people who served in SF or Ranger/LRRP companies were active in the formation of the battalions but I don't think that was excusively the case. Am I wrong about that?

I've never spent "day one" in a Ranger Battalion nor have I been to RIP, but two of the most impressive NCOs I encountred in the Army "grew up" in the battalions. One was a 2nd Battalion Ranger from the mid '70s and the other was a 1st Battalion Ranger from the early '80s. Then again, two of the biggest screw ups that it was my displeasure to serve with had been 1st Battalion Rangers "born and raised" in the battalion.