Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
I think what the thread was suggesting, was that in the same way that SOCOM has Dedicated Helicopter and Boat units to facilitate air and sea/river support, that the same think is being suggested for protected mobility.

No, I was actually talking about a whole Ranger like Mechanized Unit. What you're talking is sort of like the SAS has, where each team is trained for a speacial task (e.i. Small boats, Mountains, etc). I'm talking about having tanks and artillery pieces here. I would never want to see a Special Forces person being forced to drive a tank. This unit would be nothing more than an elite mechanized regiment. It would be used when SF or Delta (I don't know what they call themselves these days?) needed a highly trained armour unit to support them. Sort of like how Rangers pull security for Operators to come in and take down a target building, this would be the same thing.

I do thank all of you for giving your input. This idea would be hated by the whole Army if it ever became reality. The SOF people would fear a change in SF culture and the regular Army would fear loosing its best people.

We can also think about how this would relate to Tom Barnett's ideas. The Leviathan force would be smaller and better trained than today's force. Tomorrow's Leviathan force may be half the size of today's Army. To make up the loss in numbers, we'd want an extremely well trained and finely selected force. What do you folks think?