I understand your views Rifleman. Battle Drill, especially for Advance/Movement-to-Contact and the Attack bothers me especially in so far as it seems to prop up Infantry leaders who probably shouldn't be leading in the first place. The Germans deliberately avoided Battle Drill, and relied on developing and using the tactical judgement of their Infantrymen in general, and leaders in particular. No-one can claim that that approach didn't work for them, especially against opponents who used Battle Drill (The Commonwealth).

I figure that competent and well-trained infantry and infantry leaders don't need Battle Drill, or if they do, only for very limited purposes. And on the other hand, Battle Drill can serve to disguise the poor tactical judgement of weak infantry and especially their leaders. For those reasons, I think that Battle Drill should be ditched and the German system adopted. It's easier to find out who's got the goods, and who doesn't, in peacetime if they don't have the cover of Battle Drill to hide behind.

That said, I have to agree that on some things, like counter-ambush and the like, certain drills are or may be necessary; tactical circumstances allow no time for anything other than an instantaneous reaction.