Well if the criteria are understanding the war you're in, and implementing a strategy to win it, then my list is below.

Gen Washington has my vote for best in American history. Consider what he had to work with, where he had to go, and what he accomplished. Yes, I know, he only won three battles, if you don't count the successful evacuations, but the man understood the nature of his war and kept that always in mind. He also coordinated with Allies (French and various Indian tribes) to include the French Navy. Now that, for 1783, was a grand accomplishment.

I think old George gets completely ignored. My list is American only as I don't feel competent to go abroad.
1. Washington
2. Grant
3. Marshall
4. Pershing
5. Eisenhower
6. Winfield Scott
7. Sherman
8. LeMay (both during WWII and Cold War)
9. Jimmy Doolittle
10. Vinegar Joe Stillwell

All these guys showed imagination, innovation, took risks and understood the nature of the war they were in. And, all except Grant, Scott, and Sherman had to handle Allies.... which is truly an art form. Previous comments have Zinni on peoples' lists. I'd concur and think that if we had him there instead of Franks, it would be a very different ball game now.

All this is a fun parlor game, but the real issue Yingling's article got me thinking about is why, with all our professional education, service Academies, and other "challenges" and "opportunities" do we have so precious few around like these today?

Perhaps its because they, had careers filled with innovation and risk, just showing up for normal duties in their peace time army? I don't know but I wish someone would figure it out.