Thread: Unit Lifetime Assignments

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Albon View Post
    Bad idea.

In economics, free markets beat state controlled markets at least partially by allowing the best and brightest people / products /services to raise to the top.

Similarly, by controlling individuals by installing lifetime assignments these best and brightest are restricted from advancing into the positions where they can do the most good.

Argh... post deleted.

Furthermore, I bet the benefit coming from a unit serving together is logarithmic in nature. That is, a unit serving together for 6 months is much worse than a unit together for 2 years. But that relative difference is much smaller for between units serving together for 10 years and 20 years respectively.
    The Army pretty much sends people where it needs them. During reenlistment, there is some choice in where the soldier wants to go, but this choice is limited. After ten years in service, it becomes totally for the needs of the Army which means there's no choice(Unless you know someone who works at branch assignments).

As far as the free-market analogy, I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The current system gives Officers and Senior NCO's no choice anyway. Most people who make the Army a career are required to do some instructor time (Drill Sgt, OC) and this wouldn't effect that either. Anyone who wishes to try out SF can do that too.
    Last edited by Ratzel; 01-05-2008 at 05:31 AM.
    "Politics are too important to leave to the politicians"