Thread: Major Andrew Olmsted Killed in Iraq

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good Luck, God Speed !

Major, A powerful final post !

A must read !

I do ask (not that I'm in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours.

Americans are fortunate that we don't have to worry too much about people coming to try and overthrow us, but part of the reason we don't have to worry about that is because we have an army that is stopping anyone who would try.

Soldiers cannot have the option of opting out of missions because they don't agree with them: that violates the social contract.

Whether or not this mission was a good one, my participation in it was an affirmation of something I consider quite necessary to society.

Council Member

Cannoneer No 4:

thanks for posting this; very sad but very brave.

This quote hit the hardest on me:

This is the hardest part. While I certainly have no desire to die, at this point I no longer have any worries. That is not true of the woman who made my life something to enjoy rather than something merely to survive. She put up with all of my faults, and they are myriad, she endured separations again and again...I cannot imagine being more fortunate in love than I have been with Amanda. Now she has to go on without me, and while a cynic might observe she's better off, I know that this is a terrible burden I have placed on her, and I would give almost anything if she would not have to bear it. It seems that is not an option. I cannot imagine anything more painful than that, and if there is an afterlife, this is a pain I'll bear forever.
    God bless Major Olmstead and his family.
    Last edited by Gian P Gentile; 01-05-2008 at 12:34 PM.