Hey Bob !
This concept merits consideration, but I remain skeptical. Not because our governments couldn’t employ/enforce said, but the players are, shall we say… historically at odds and otherwise have quite different mindsets and missions.

At one point during the Rwandan refugee crisis, my boss was asked to immediately depart the AO when it was determined he was armed. I felt that was ignorant and naive of them considering the ever present machete attacks in the same camp.

Our 3rd member (of a 3-person team (note the PC)) was a former Peace Corps volunteer and later headed the DART program both in Goma, Zaire and Kigali, Rwanda. She never really understood the Colonel and I, but would later appreciate having us around. I honestly think she felt we were basically ‘disciplined armed thugs in uniform’. But, we were American thugs

The rather small contingent of US forces ensured security patrols maintained a safe environment for NGOs, but in all honesty, that was not why they were there. If it weren’t for my boss and the US military leadership, most of the NGOs would have fallen victim to typical Zairian 'Jungle Rules'

We did try connecting potential security elements in Kinshasa with folks in Goma, but it was a politically charged and sensitive issue that nobody seemed willing to engage in. Even with their Alphas on the line, they refused to take sound advice or employ adequate security.

Regards, Stan