1-I feel your pain man. Yes stats run police departments because they are often tied to grant money, wrong stats no money.
2-I really appreciate many of the rand downloads you have found about the good old stuff and I agree with you about the writing style. They did it with such clarity and purpose and it shows.
3-As for LE/GWOT-Watch Meth-amphetamines. this is nothing but a terrorist super drug. I saw on TV during some clearing ops (Iraq) the bad guys had hyped up on pain killers and fought till the death and loved it. If they add Meth to their bag of tricks you have instant super soldier-no pain-alot of gain. And it is coming up from Mexico in never before seen quantities. Good news the DEA and border patrol are stopping it (some of it).
4-More LE/GWOT good news that is ok for open sources is the NYPD counter terror unit has for awhile taught the CARVER targeting technique as part of their CT program. They go for the most critical targets just like the terrorist with the understanding that they may have to take some small hits along the way but will not do any serious damage. It is now part of there academy and is being taught to other outside agencies. CARVER is very close to POP techniques so LE can understand the process and the mindset(culture)so they can stay ahead of them. And with all that it is now bedtime!!