Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
Why would one want a ten digit grid -- the map is not that accurate and without the map the Grid is borderline useless. Given any one of a bunch of smart munitions, I can understand eight just 'cause the GPS is saying (hopefully) the same thing to everyone -- but ten??? You've identified the proximate cause of angst for us old folks but I'd also suggest that peacetime training experience is a contributor.
That is one of my major pet peeves, right now. Typical soldier knows nothing about land nav; cannot tell you what the 10 digits stand for, and in critical situations, cannot break it down to a 4 digit grid. They just keep reading back the 10 numbers in the display. ####, it's like we've BECOME the faceless, non-thinking, automans of the Soviet Army.

I wonder if the GPS-makers KNOW how completely useless, and in fact impossible the 10 digit grid is, in order to work with.

Just got done with a CPX where the RTOs and even junior officers up to CPT level had no clue about map-reading or land nav. Other than to read the magic 10 numbers from the plugger.