Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
Consider the Clausewitzian observation that War Is Never an Isolated Act (section 7, Ch. 1, Book 1 – Howard & Paret ed.), “War never breaks out wholly unexpectedly, nor can it be spread instantaneously. Each side can therefore gauge the other by large extent by what he is and does, instead of judging him by what he, strictly speaking, ought to be or do.” Later in Section 23, Clausewitz considers the evolutionary nature of the policy objective in relation to the means which are available to carry it through, “If we keep in mind that war springs from some political, it is natural that the prime cause of its existence will remain the supreme consideration in conducting it. That, however, does not imply the political objective is a tyrant. It must adapt itself to its chosen means (Rob’s note- I think he means the use of war and the consequences and non-linear effects that accompany it as a chosen means to achieve the political objective), a process that can radically change it; yet the political aim must remain the first consideration.
Firstly, I am a confirmed Clauswitian, so I really applaud your use of his work. 99% of people who say they have read Clausewitz, simply have not. I am currently reading the 1873 translation (available online) having read the excellent Howard Paret translation for about the 3rd time late last year. Von C rocks!!

I take CvC to mean that a rational examination of your enemies' "ways and means" will give you a sound insight into his capability, as well as his vulnerability, be they destruction or exhaustion, or both. CvC would have been very at home in the Lebanon in 2006. It is just crying shame few IDF officers have ever read him, I think, thanks to Van Creveld constantly doing him down.

In my teaching/doctrine/ideas the conduct of war can only ever be seen as a the product of adaptation - thus evolutionary. RMA's are myths.