I seem to remember that Army Materiel Cmd went through a major Balanced Scorecard nutroll a few years back--don't know whether it is still a front burner project for the current CG. In some areas it made sense because of the logistics business they did. In others the metrics were pretty inane, IMHO. I also seem to remember that it was being used across the upper echelons of DA as something like an OER support form to measure how well senior leadership and their commands were performing. The AF, along with their AF Smart Ops for the 21st Century (AFSO21), is using BSC too. My experience has been that folks spend (waste?) agonizingly long hours trying to hone the BSC metrics to make sure they don't slit their own throats when it comes evaluation time.

Selil is right about its similarity to TQM. It also has a lot of similarities to something that ought to make Ken and others who can harken back to the immediate post Viet Nam era quake in their boots with terror --MBO or Management by Objectives.