Thread: Is it in the US' Interest to Support Israel?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

magnusmaximus,

Israel shouldered the burden, during certain cases in Africa and Latin America, in the worldwide struggle against communism, in particular when U.S. hands became tied for various reasons. This is something that the Israeli’s gave in return. On a whole, Israel was a strong partner against communism.

I would agree with other posters with regard to support of Israel, that the poison is in the portions. I see our current, near unconditional support for Israel as contrary to our national interest. Lebanon, Palestine, the 2003 Iranian overture, these are all recent cases where I think we did not act in our national interest, and see our unconditional support for Israel as one of the reasons why. Particularly with regards to our Syria policy, I am rather disappointed.

The Assad's superb ability at destroying Jihadis goes largely ignored by an Israel-obsessed political right in our country, and unappreciated by the political left. Our current policy has us backing the Syrian Muslim Brotherhood. I am willing to entertain the notion of backing the Brothers elsewhere, just not the Syrian branch. They were a crucial element of 9/11 and should be killed.

IMHO, the level of unconditional support for Israel in our nation nears beyond-reason, as Paul Pillar recently put it, “Israel needs to be pushed to make concessions, and that’s a topic that we can’t seem to be able to discuss rationally in this country.” It really is a fascinating phenomenon, Walt & Mearshiemer’s work is one of the most intriguing things I have read in political science; Phillip’s American Theocracy covers some of the same ground and is also good.

RA is absolutely correct in saying that “Voters are overwhelming willing to pay the price, don't want to do anything that lowers the price and aren't going to change anytime soon.” With only a little hyperbole here, my fear is that the price someday may very-well be Manhattan or Chicago. This is a price I am unwilling to pay. So if we can take some of the wind out of the salafi-jihadist sails, at cost of halting our unconditional support of Israel, then I am all for it.
    Last edited by bourbon; 03-05-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: grammar