Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
I was also thinking about when a senior CDR gets selected he has the same biases etc. that others must overcome. ADM Fallon was widely accepted as a wise choice based off of his performance as a GCC CDR in PACOM. Based off that performance, the characterization that the experiences of the Navy as a service offers broader strategic perspective, and that given the scope of a GCC's responsibilities, CENTCOM did not necessarily require that its CDR be from a ground service - e.g. purple and broader experience was good enough.
I wasn't all that happy with Fallon because of my firm belief that Aviators (and their ilk, Fallon was a NFO) should never command ground troops. Many here may recall I've repeatedly said that Bush, Rumsfeld and Myers, Aviators all, had no knowledge of ground combat and thus made some dumb errors -- which those with experience in ground combat did not work hard enough to correct due to our system. I digress...

Nor am I convinced that the Navy has a broader strategic perspective or that Purple is a necessarily good color for much of anything.
I think coming from a very busy GCC (PACOM) where certainly we have enduring interests, and where there is tension that could lead to military commitment, but also one in which we are not engaged in achieving major political objectives like OIF and OEF by predominantly military means (this includes using military means in some non-military ways) is a larger transition then we may have attributed to it.
Astute and I think very accurate observation.
What is the effect on experiences within an organizational culture toward creating bias that has to be overcome? I don't mean solely the type of bias that occurs in the relationship between two HQs (who may be led by CDR's with different backgrounds and perspectives) of which their composition may be one that reflects the conditions in which they operate which have had a shaping effect on their outlooks, but also shape how they perceive and interact with the environment in which the operations take place? I know that is a complex question, but I think it gets to some of the complexity of the environment.
Equally astute. I'd add that experience is both a factor in forming biases(s) AND in the formation and development of knowledges and skills (which in turn contribute to more biases...). It is my contention that Generals with an Artillery background should never command maneuver forces. Not a PC position to take but I'm a firm believer having worked for several, peace and war. Round pegs do not fit in square holes -- unless they're too small...

I've seen former Airborne Infantry Commanders running Mech units; they do the basic command stuff well but tactically and operationally, they tend to be over cautious -- also seen former Mech commanders take over Airborne units -- same comment applies.

We have a system that says all folks of like grade are essentially interchangeable and that just is not true. Under most circumstances will those triangular pegs fit in the hexagonal holes? Absolutley. Will they do a good job? Probably.

Is a good job adequate -- or do we need the best job we can get when lives and national interests are at stake...
On the surface it would be easy to say if you pick folks with "more" like organizational experiences formed over a professional lifetime you stand a better chance of getting it right, but I think it may go deeper then that, because just picking things on their surface doesn't guarantee that it will stand a better chance of creating the type of relationship(s) that favor success. Personalities routinely come into conflict based on their motivations and perspectives. I think what may be of more value is an assessment of how the operational and strategic objectives are nested with the over-arching policy, and a solid understanding of how the ends drive the means and ways. I'm starting to have an appreciation for both what might be possible, but also for the ways in which organizations or personalities can put themselves intentionally and unintentionally at cross purposes without some degree of guidance and authority. It seems striking the right balance is often more luck associated with the right man at the right place at the right time sort of theory then about the opportunities inherent in formal relationships.
Agreed.

Is luck good enough? Why not select the right person for the job...

I'll also suggest that, if I may repeat a portion of what you said:
"...I think what may be of more value is an assessment of how the operational and strategic objectives are nested with the over-arching policy, and a solid understanding of how the ends drive the means and ways.
it is imperative to have that over arching policy. The question then arises; Who develops that policy?