Clearly we have always been inflicted with those who are apt to assign numeric values to everything from individual military performance to Corps COA Evaluation. Specifically why most people like this type of analysis is probably beyond knowing, but I offer the following as possibilities...

1. It is comforting for some (even if they know it is intellectually dishonest) to be able to point to a numeric outcome as a rationale for their decisions. [I]I think this is because they sense it provides a level of freedom from culpability, "but the numbers said this was the best COA, I shall have the offending staff officer shot!"

2. It provides a level of uniformity across the force, "If we all use the same criteria (and associated definitions), we will all come to the same conclusion." I call any reader's attention to the big CAS3 decision brief exercise that a generation of officers were forced to grind out complete with decmat and pairwise comparison.

3. We like to kid ourselves that we can, thru calculations, remove randomness, complexity, and chaos from the nature of our business. Which we all know is horse feathers....

The hardest trick I ever had with Division Commanders (planned for four) was fostering the idea that if we got everyone, metaphorically speaking, marching somewhat in the direction... that was a very good thing. And that sometimes, despite our best efforts, an action taken has unintended/unpredicted consequences. The best we can do is develop plans so that we can account/react/mitigate the effects when those occur.

I batted 50% with those four, one went on to be the hero of New Orleans, the other the hero of Mosul. A coincidence perhaps, but I think crises helps focus the mind.

Live well and row