Quote Originally Posted by Charlie11 View Post
As we used to say in the old 9th Infantry Division (Motorized), Rat Patrol was a neat TV show but a terrible idea for an MTOE. When you plan mobility by lift aircraft requirements rather than mission requirements you wind up with silly things that don't have doors - or survivability. I can only assume that Singapore has no potential threats that possess indirect fire... or pointy sticks for that matter.
I don't know about "Rat patrols" but tactical ignorance of the correct way to employ equipment is always going to create problems.

Such vehicles are used in conjunction with dismounted and even armoured forces. They are a mobility system to enable the ability to disperse and concentration light anti-armour forces, while leveraging the advantages of air mobility and a vastly reduced cost, and logistic foot-print when compared with armoured forces.

Singapore can drop a 30 vehicle anti-armour screen 50km deep into Malaysia, pretty easily, or hold the same number of vehicles on the deck of small commercial freighter or move easily by wide body cargo jet.

I absolutely agree that such vehicles have less protection than a family car, but that is missing the point. You always trade security for activity, and such a system is not appropriate across entire the spectrum of environments and operations.

I have never seen any well-written tactical doctrine for employing such vehicles. In fact during my time in Singapore I did have some discussion as to writing some.