Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
The problem is that military thought (as I have said many times before) is discussed as though spoken by Avril Levene, by randomly using nonsensical, definition free words, phrases and aphorisms like, 4GW, OOTW, Asymmetric (which is really stupid) and now Hybrid Wars.

Rant complete. Guns to rest. Secure from action stations. Systems to stand-by. Listening out.
Cognoscente of Global Scouts assertion that I call people stupid, I feel it only right that I draw attention to my actual use of that word.

Based on the quote above, I did say, and also implied that the use of phrases and ideas such as 4GW, OOTW, Asymmetric and Hybrid Wars, was stupid.

Let me clarify and apologise (if required). I do NOT consider anyone here stupid. I do consider the use of such phrases and ideas as "Not Useful" and that they may even harm understanding. (and I submit that 4GW has done harm) - but the use of language is critical in military thought, and I sometime use it as stupidly as everyone else.

I understand that Frank Hoffman coined "Hybrid Wars" and Frank is a good friend, whom I very much respect, so I would never call him stupid - but I don't agree with him on many things. The use of this terminology is one.