Quote Originally Posted by jonSlack View Post
That being said, I do not know if there are any alternative systems that can truly remedy the current problems with the company grade officer OER system and which are free of similar or more serious problems of their own. Also, while I have not rated a junior commissioned officer, I can understand the difficulties some, if not many, Company Commanders have or would have in some how "ranking" their Platoon Leaders and XO if they all are accomplishing their assigned mission as well as properly caring for their Soldiers.
Jon,

I didn't find rating platoon leaders that difficult and it was amazing to see the separation that developed between them in terms of performance. The top and bottom ones clearly distinguished themselves, and it was clear who had the potential as they moved along.

For example, I had one 2LT who made more than his share of 2LT mistakes, and so I thought he was a below center of mass performer at the time. However, he clearly had the intelligence and ability to think and just needed some time to develop his leadership skills, and I got him a platoon sergeant who was the right fit to build his confidence and leadership skills. On the other hand, I had a platoon leader who was very strong tactically and was a marginal above center of mass performer (that seems like a contradiction in terms ). Yet, he lacked initiative and as such, seemed like someone who had the talent to excel beyond company command but would probably peak at company command.

While this is anecdotal, of my top four lieutenants, three of them got out once they had completed their initial service obligation.