Thread: Cuban Exiles in Zaire.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[QUOTE=cuba;44030]I would like to have some information about the cuban pilots who fought in Zaire against Simbas.
    [QUOTE]

Look at these 2 books; I wrote both
    LP 14 Dragon Opns
    Shaba II

Did they help to destroy simbas?
    Yes but more in terms if intimidation. The Cubna ground troops had a greater effect.

Was that war a victory for Mobutu?
    It was a victory for Tshombe and Kasavubu--Mobutu seized power aftrerward

How long did that war last?
    1963-965

I heard Laurent kabila continued the war after 1967.
    More or less amd mainly less. 1964 hangouts were still around when Stan and Iworked together, including Toma Kanza, Antoine Gizenga, and Kablila

Did the cuban pilots help to defeat Schramme and allies?
    No, not as far as I know. I believe that their CIA contract was up and they had left.

I have a final doubt I heard Mobutu sent his army to Angola in 1975 and that army was defeated by cubans and MPLA. Is this true?
    Soundly defeated as in a route. I met one of the CIA paramilitary guys who advised the lead battalion as it approached Luanda. He said when the 1st Cuban 122mm shell hit the ground, he was suddenly alone and remained so until he walked back into Zaire. This was one of the US's most idiotic moves on the continent and in Zaire in particular It cmented the Cubans role in Angola. Proved--again--that the FAZ and Mobutu were criminally corrupt and inept. And led to 2 more wars in 1977 and 1978.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 04-05-2008 at 01:45 PM.