I understand the confusion. I am a little confused myself.
SCETC is only and enabler; They arrange and enable the training the Transition Teams headed to OIF/OEF.
This will eventually go away as Iraq and Afghanistan draw down...whenever that is. SCETC is not an operational unit and belong to TECOM.
Now here is where it gets muddled; MSOAG (old FMTU) trains and advises indigenous peoples. MCTAG trains conventional forces already existing, and advises them. The missions are pretty much the same; MCTAG's center of gravity is FID with a secondary focus on coin (since the two tend to go hand and hand). MSOAG belongs to MARSOC and SOCOM. MCTAG belongs to MARFORCOM and teams will chop to the COCOM for employment world wide.
MCTAG is supposed to be an enduring organization for the long war. The unit is at the barely breathing stage.
The same skill sets required by an MSOAG team are the same ones a MCTAG team will need to execute FID. Its not a new concept and I would submit the Marine Corps has done some sort of FID/COIN during its entire history. Most notably the Banana Wars which the Small Wars Manual was written in 1940 as a result of that experience.
I hope this clears it up a bit, I look forward to your comments. I don't speak for MCTAG or the Director but simply know what is going on.