Thread: Pakistani politics (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by George L. Singleton View Post
    Islam has several branches and forms, so there is no single ummah or line of central tendency as some self serving extremist Islamics would have the world believe.

"Economic" Muslims put the wallet first, not Islam. We have a growing number of both Pakistani and Indian "economic Muslims" here in the USA and they like making a profit, having good homes, cars, better educations for their children. Many in fact are at least in part assimilating by marrying Christians even though the original Muslim in the marriage may, in some cases, continue to practice Islam.

The Agha Khan variety of Islam is charity, education, better world health focused and deals heavily in and has become a part of the world's free enterprise system. Yes, they are small compared to other Muslims branches, but they are a good working example of a type of Islam that is not terrorist in slant.

Summaried, your overview to me could have said: The world today is dealing in a religiously focused propaganda war, whether the world wants to admit this more clearly and openly or not. The difference is that civil governments, the US, UK, Germany, France, et al have to fight the propaganda war without stomping on freedom of religion for those who for whatever reason adhere to various varieties and forms of Islam.

I think our civil governments need to focus on freedom of majority Chrisitan religions here not being interfered with by extremist Islamics and their ideology. We can civilly do that without becoming church states, but remaining pluralistic nations open to all religions as long as violence and insurrection is not allowed, ever, by minority religions.
    Let my being from India not lead anyone to template the usual Indo Pak equation. I am from a family that is multi-faith and it is international not only in location but marriage.

One is aware of Islam and its sects and one is also aware of the intersect rivalry.

The Islam in the US is not Islam in the world. US, indeed, is the melting pot and it indeed, changes the mindset. My own family, that is in the US, bears proof and interfaith marriage is not needed!

It is commendable that Economic Moslem believes in the theory that 'In God we trust, but we turst the $ more'!

HH Aga Khan’s benevolence is legendary in India and his sect is beyond participating in the identity crisis of Islam.

It is not the propaganda war that is my concern, it is merely the solution in Afghanistan that I am addressing vis a vis Pakistan.

A war in the name of religion is the last thing that is on my mind. What is on my mind is a solution to the issue of Afghanistan which given the religious overhang in Pakistan is not quite resulting in the peace and stability that is desirable in the sub continent.

Indeed, if you can stomp on Islam of Pakistan and obtain the results that you desire, I will be the last one to say no!

Just go ahead as Davy Crocket said - Be sure you are right, then go ahead!
    Last edited by Ray; 04-09-2008 at 05:01 PM.