Is it the responsiblity of the big Army to train the junior officers as to the finer points of warfare or the gaining units? How much additional training do you recommend? At what point do you write the kid off as a piss poor leader?

I've seen some stellar PLs. I've also seen PLs I wouldn't put in charge of the mess hall, let alone allow their soldiers to drag them through combat. I would recommend it is the responisbility of company commanders and senior NCOs within that young officer's platoon to mold him or her into being a combat leader.

I will admit that the younger generation is having a pretty hard time of knowing where their place is. I've written recently on the subject as it relates to generational effects of coddling, instant gratification through things as simple as 24 hour news or video games, and reasonable expectation. As a microcosm of sociey, it is reasonable to believe that certain elements of the miltary, particularly the newly indoctrinated custodians of authority, would be subject to difficulties adapting to a regimented lifestyle such as is the hallmark of military service.

What do we do with these young "leaders" when we find that for reasons good, bad, or indifferent they have joined the military with less than altruistic intentions and clearly cannot understand the culture? Do we conduct an ad hoc version of natural selection and thank them for their service and let them on their way? Do we continue to attempt to mold them and drag them along? Do we promote them with the hopes that added responisbility by virtue of rank will increase their own personal awareness as to the severity of their profession? One could argue that we're doing a combination of all of these down at the company and platoon level.

To paraphrase George Orwell "All animals are equal. Some animals are more equal than others."