While avoiding implications in current AO's I think there are some good examples from detention that point to where the expectations for formal training are often overdone.

A good officer learns to know the "terrain" simply by actually being in it. For those of us who took the time to listen to concerns of the population within the context of understanding that there were usually agendas at play it was very simple to track what was really happening in the jailhouse. If you learn the names of inmates and simple groupings as in who belonged to or hung out with what groups then it became much easier to identify and address issues much sooner. If you haven't seen someone around that usually does X at Y time on any given day then maybe you keep an eye out for G who usually does Y with X every day and if you have developed a basic rapport you end up with some discussion during which you can ask G why X isn't doing Y that day.

For most anyone this is a natural habit and so with just a little fine tuning can become an effective tool. It doesn't and should always be a difficult or tedious as it is often made out to be, and I'm concerned we do ourselves and our soldiers a disservice when we don't admit that. I would doubt many of the enlisted in MI wouldn't tell you that if others have concerns that they are getting in over their head they have little to no problem coming to you and saying : "Hey whats the deal"

Just my 1 1/2 ...