in that the Air Force oft times comes off with a nose in the air sense of superiority to us earth bound hoi polloi.

I worked for the AF for about seven years at two nearly diametrically opposite levels. The AF does many things in a superior fashion, transportation and airfield support being two of them. They are also the preeminent air superiority force. Oh, and you can’t beat the perks (ok had to throw at least one snarky dig).

But I feel what irks some is, as Ken says, their attitude, particularly when it comes to their role enterprise wide. While our Soldiers and Marines slug it out day to day in the dust and mud of far off battlefields the AF lobbies for more F-22s and the NGB while at the same time not taking a truly serious look at finding the offsets for these systems from within their own TOA. Then it seems that when it is ultimately decided that funding will go elsewhere the Air Force often acts the petulant child.

While I have no problem with any service expending as much of its budget as they so desire on creature comforts for their people, there is a point (gee, just like in real life) where you have to stop driving the Bugatti Veyron and drinking Cristal and get the Toyota Tercel and drink Asti.