Thread: Counterinsurgency Education Request

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Am I wrong?

With the current situation in Iraq wouldn't the ideal scenario be along the lines of this: (In AOs where both forces are represented)

1. SF focus would be FID and intel collection (HUMIT)
    2. Conventional forces would be conducting their operations based off the aboves intel.
    3. In many cases operations would be combined (SF, HN, and Conventional)

Don't get me wrong in some places this is how things are happening, when the BCT and SF are coordinating their efforts and have a good working relationship and understanding of each others capabilities.

Seems to me with BCT commanders owning the ground and as much as it pains me to say this SF is a supporting force (force multiplier), the understanding by conventional commanders of eachs role would in effect make it a smoother operation. This is started in the education of both sides. Unfortunately over recent years many on both sides have blurred these lines and responsibilities. Understanding the current force structure and size on both sides many BCT elements are on their own in parts throughout the country.

I have found it interesting in conventional forces unwillingness to train with SF and SFs unwillingness as well. On installations where both are stationed we should be taking advantage of each other. Simple think an ODA using an infantry battalion as its indig force for a few weeks of training. The experiences both would gain. Additionally in a perfect world many of these units that are stationed together would be deployed in the same AO simultaneously. The working relationship and capabilities would be a sight to see IMO.

IMHO there is no reason we cannot at least have OPD/NCOPD taking place between the forces

Feel free to let me have it....
    Last edited by ODB; 04-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.