Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
I realize this is not dealing with issues at the tactical level, unfortunately through the years this is where it has started. At some point those at the top started way down the totem pole where I am today. This unwillingness to work together is not something that started when they got into upper levels, it started years before when they were at the tactical level. My statement about 6 years after some of the most combined operations in US history we are still trying to cut each others throats, applies to all levels and in many cases between all services. Someone please help me understand how it is, if I at the bottom of the pecking order can see this, how is it those above me just don't get it? I attribute a lot of this attitude to the simple fact we (SOF/conventional) do not interact in our professional/advanced schooling/development. It has to start somewhere, where better than in the school house. This goes inline with my statement regarding many forget where they came from. Yes many of us started on the conventional side, but many forget what that side is like, additionally how fast all sides change. Just because we started on the conventional side does not make us experts in planning on the use of conventional forces, especially in todays asymetrical battlefield. By integrating both SF and conventional in the school house, both stay abreast of how they are operating. Allows our brillant minds on both sides an open forum to learn from each other about each other.

As I just reread the initial posting I think we have all strayed off the orginal questions ask of us which I'm still contemplating my response.

Will once again resume my position on the bottom of the pecking order, just hope one day those who haven't been there in years remember where it was they got their start
I welcome your thoughts. I do know that conventional forces within the Marine Corps will carry out this role (FID) and for the near term its here, so of course coming from someone that does this for a living is welcomed, of course all other thoughts are welcomed whether you have done it or not.