Thread: My review of Dale Herspring's Rumsfeld's Wars: The Arrogance of Power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

It was.

I had a document (now lost) from the USAF that, in a nutshell, said:

"No way in hell, it would have been nice to talk with us first before you spouted off."

I know I sent a copy of it to a friend, I'll see if he still has it...but this was in 01-02...

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    It has always amazed me that this "wisdom" of 96 hours was never challenged. It's an arbitrary number with absolute consequences, and thus meaningless.
    If the leadership cannot get the basics right, then its hardly surprising that the rest goes to rats fairly early on.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    It was.

I had a document (now lost) from the USAF that, in a nutshell, said:

"No way in hell, it would have been nice to talk with us first before you spouted off."

I know I sent a copy of it to a friend, I'll see if he still has it...but this was in 01-02...

I nearly fell off of my bar stool once when I read an interview with Shinseki in which he said, "Imagine how differently Somalia would have turned out if we'd been able to get a brigade there in 96 hours."

Has I been there, my answer would have been, "Sir, not one whit different."

Speed may kill but, as we later found out in Iraq, killing doesn't automatically bring strategic success in a stabilization campaign.
    Last edited by SteveMetz; 05-01-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Cause I cant speel worth a toot

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I nearly fell off of my bar stool once when I read an interview with Shinseki in which he said, "Imagine how differently Somalia would have turned out if we'd been able to get a brigade there in 96 hours."

Has I been there, my answer would have been, "Sir, not one whit different."

Speed may kill but, as we later found out in Iraq, killing doesn't automatically bring strategic success in a stabilization campaign.
    Exactly...and there is the benefit from having a delay before you cross the LD. Desert Storm took 6 months; those 6 months were used wisely. Somalia was on the other hand driven by a desire to "get there" as a demonstration that light forces can be strategic (in some quarters). They can but you have to think about where you are putting them. I "voted" for an ACR in 1992 when Somalia was under discussion. So did everyone else who had been to Somalia.

It has never been about pure speed; it is about speed while maintaining inititiative and flexibility. In some cases airborne forces are the ticket depending on what you are doing. Other cases you need heavier. Advocating speed for speed's sake is rushing to one's own funeral.

Tom

Default Sometimes things are said for reasons that are not

immediately clear. For example, we contended during the Reagan years that we would put ten Divisions in Europe within ten days. Most thinking people knew it couldn't be done -- we did not then have the sealift to do it. Fortunately, a lot of non-thinking people believed it.

The 96 hours BTW isn't all that arbitrary. It's predicated on the assembly and launch of the 82d Div ready BCT (when they're home ) and flight time with existing lift. It's doable. Been done, in fact.

Council Member

Default Not light, but medium

Transformation was not about light forces. It was about making 'medium' weight forces deployable - 96 hours any where in the world. In fact, one of the earlier names for what became the SBCT was the Medium Brigade Combat Team. I can remember thinking when I first heard about it that no 'medium' organization in the history of warfare has ever survived for long: the logic of war inevitably drives it to become either lighter or heavier.

Default Agreed. I merely cited the light as the precedent

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Transformation was not about light forces. It was about making 'medium' weight forces deployable - 96 hours any where in the world. In fact, one of the earlier names for what became the SBCT was the Medium Brigade Combat Team. I can remember thinking when I first heard about it that no 'medium' organization in the history of warfare has ever survived for long: the logic of war inevitably drives it to become either lighter or heavier.
    for the time. Had the same thought as you on the 'medium' bit -- a concept of which I'm not a fan...

If I may garble my syntax a tad.

I read an interview and I'm going to mangle this but I liked it... it went something like this "Every Marine deserves the equivalent of a 30mm mini-gun, with the weight of a 45, and the reliability of a k-bar. Now back in reality...."

Sorry, I thought it was a hillarious example of fantasy meets reality.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Thumbs up Reminds me of something,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post

It has never been about pure speed; it is about speed while maintaining inititiative and flexibility. In some cases airborne forces are the ticket depending on what you are doing. Other cases you need heavier. Advocating speed for speed's sake is rushing to one's own funeral.

Tom
    Was it Wyatt Earp that said something like
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Council Member

Right. Strategic speed means nothing unless you have the capabilities on the ground and a plan to win and reinforce peace afterwards.

You can run into a lion's den as fast as you want - but it does not escape the fact you are still in a lion's den.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland