Thread: COIN Companies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

If you assume that the ideal COIN company would have to:

*be able to defend itself against any reasonable threat for a limited period
    *be able to match the enemy's mobility over rough terrain for extended periods
    *be able to bring to bear selected 'non-military' expertise as required
    *possess superlative reconnaissance skills

then I believe the organizational question (number of men, number of sub-units, types of weapons, etc) becomes almost trivial. The real questions become:

*How do I retain those things which give me an edge in combat (dominant firepower, night vision, better communications, etc) while remaining agile enough to outmaneuver or pursue the enemy?
    *What required skills can be imparted to infantrymen in a reasonable amount of time, and which will have to be provided from outside the unit?

Solutions generally fall into three areas: training, technology, and logistics.

The training bit is not easy, but it is simple. We have more than enough experience and historical example to compile the specialized skills that would come in handy for your typical COIN effort. Some of these could be 'organic' to the unit (simple tracking, interrogation, or forensic techniques, for example). Others, such as civil engineering, contracting, language, would probably have to be provided by either experts in the headquarters squad, attachments, or reachback.

I'm not a big believer in technological solutions, but technology is our big advantage in the asymmetric fight, and needs to be exploited in COIN. The danger is in projecting too far out - "all we need is cold fusion in a thimble to make this work" - but we don't need to go all "Starship Troopers". Lighter, better batteries, for instance, or more bandwidth, or a reliable translation program, are all within reach.

All this ties into logistics. We are still woefully roadbound. In Iraq this is less of a problem than it is in Afghanistan. Frankly, I don't have any solutions in my back pocket or I'd share them. The fact is, once our infantry jumps off the helicopter they almost immediately become immobile compared to the enemy we face. The only way we can force him to fight is to surround him or surprise him. The latter seems to be inordinately difficult, while the latter requires more troops than we have avaialable. So solving the problem of how to keep the boys in batteries, water, food, and ammo, without tying them to helicopter landing zones or putting 120 pounds on their backs, seems to me a much more important issue than any question of organization.

Council Member

Default Nice

Eden:

That was nicely put.

Regards

Richard W

Default COIN Company

All,

This has been a big subject at CGSC. According to FM 3-0 (2008) full spectrum operations consist of offensive, defensive, and stability or civil support operations conducted simultaneously. According to FM 3-24 (2006) COIN is a combination of offensive, defensive, and stability operations. I wouldn't think of it as COIN operations or "conventional operations". For example, an infantry company could be deployed in Ar Ramadi, with two platoons conducing offensive operations in one part of the city and another platoon conducting stability operations in the other part of the city. All of it being COIN Operations.

glaw

Default When in Rome do as the Romans do

A lot of the thought has to be to stop relying on the Army to provide so much. Stick me in a village with bare necessities and let me live like the locals. Too many of us have gotten use to "luxury" items. If I'm doing the right thing many of my needs will be supplied by the locals. Then my only logistical requirements can come by parachute in the middle of the night. Those items should be what I need to help the locals, not pamper myself. If creating COIN companies then they would need to realize what "snake eaters" really are. Ever had camel? Taste like chicken.....not really!
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    If creating COIN companies then they would need to realize what "snake eaters" really are. Ever had camel? Taste like chicken.....not really!
    Not just tasted but eaten camel! I have tasted road-kill hyena, as prepared by one of the medics from Unit 669. - who then said "wow you really are dumb. We didn't think you'd do it!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default No road-kill hyena here

Not just tasted but eaten camel! I have tasted road-kill hyena, as prepared by one of the medics from Unit 669. - who then said "wow you really are dumb. We didn't think you'd do it!
    Road kill possum is mighty tasty after many days without food, still remember the rule. Snap it hard three times, whatever doesn't fall off is good to eat.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Council Member

Good post #14, to remember Malaya, Portugese Africa, Rhodesia, &c.

I'm affraid this look back tends to be too romantic, boy-scout and action movie type romantic.

And when ordered to build a unit, I have to ask for what mission. Rural? Urban? The real deal, or "hearts and minds" stuff?

Generally, these days I would go irregular. Recruiting people of suitable and theatre-compatible racial/tribal/cultural background, either in the theatre itself, or from the huge pool of economic and political refugees that is available in the West. Exploiting racial, tribal and social conflicts. Led by visually compatible members of special forces with special education.
    Pose as business men, workers, tourists, local security, the new gang in town, &c.

The whole outfit organised flat. Trooper - Section Leader - Company Leader. No status games and a minimum of "Sirs". No real uniforms, blending in with locals.
    The size of the section maybe 8 men (not different from a regular squad), the company maybe 15 to 20 sections. But the section here is more important, the company more a paper unit. The sections would avoid "coming home" when in theatre.

Logistics support by buying stuff, other stuff by FedEx or DHL. (I'm not joking, FedEx is in Iraq since 2003. A lot of stuff can be delivered commercially - very low profile).
    In more rural areas GPS-parachutes.
    For mobility take a taxi, or buy something.

Two huge advantages a Western COIN unit has are ISR and precision stand-off fire power (which is important in case a hundred Pashtuns decide to have your scalp).
    That makes the question of weapons a little secondary, for some missions a concealed PDW might be enough.
    Otherwise it depends heavily on the ops environment, but blending in would be important, like:
    For rural areas AK47/103 (optionally with UGLs), one or two marksman rifles like a M110, a PKM, some MGL, maybe a Javelin, hand grenades, plus some night-vision equipment. Basically no different than light inf.
    For urban areas low profile is even more important -- silenced SMGs, low caliber LAWs, maybe some unusual and expensive high-tech toys like guided LAWs and unmanned sensors, &c.