It has always been difficult to find the balance between the politician and the soldier. As a professional Army made up of citizen soldiers, I think it is unrealistic to expect us to remain steadfastly apolitical. As Ken noted, we are a reflection of the society from which we came. Furthermore, we are a key component of this nations power and to suggest that we not have a voice in how that power should be used just because we are soldiers is irresponsible, in my opinion. These days, the average American probably doesn't even know anyone who has served all that well and gets much of his view of the military and its members from movies and TV. Our elected officials aren't going to change that except as it suits their needs and desires. A nice quiet apolitical military is not doing this country any favors. We are the ones who have the knowledge and experience about this key element of American power, about its capabilities and limitations and about the real cost of its use. I think that it is worth noting that the Wehrmacht of the 1930s was proud of how apolitical they were and when they saw the bad road that they were on most of them chose to ignore it because it was not their place to say.

Now I am not advocating getting on the soapbox in uniform. Certainly overpolitization of the military isn't going to do the country an favors either but I have always found it odd that we are expected to do the most and have the most to lose while simultaneously having the least voice in the matter.

SFC W